RE: Should pdf and doc open alone or inside the browser

From: Lois Wakeman <lois@lois.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:09:16 +0100
To: "'WAI Interest Group'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Jesper,

Integrated plugins adding non-HTML content to web sites muddy the WAI
waters, IMO. You are starting to get into OS GUI accessibility, rather than
web accessibility, surely? That's an even bigger can of worms.

I understand your concern, as from the user's point of view, proprietary
content *is* part of the site. I think this issue will get more complex
rather than less, unfortunately, as long as web authors perceive a need to
go beyond HTML to do what they want (however misguidedly in some cases), and
(some) OS vendors continue in their drive to integrate everything
seamlessly. It isn’t helped by the fact that many users are na´ve and don't
know (or care) how they can change the default behaviours that came
pre-installed on their machine.

Lois Wakeman

http://lois.co.uk
http://siteusability.com