Re: Can User Agents adopt the lists that screen readers so eleqently do?

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@sidar.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:42:54 +1000
Cc: "David Woolley" <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
To: "Ian Anderson" <lists@zstudio.co.uk>

You mean testing publishing tools for their support of authoring
accessible content (for example conformance to the 4 year old W3C
recommendation "Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines"), making the
results available, and suggesting that people actually use that
information as a buying guide?

I don't think anyone has done it.  I have done testing of these tools
and warn that it is a big job which is much easier to do badly than
well. But it would indeed be useful. There's even a W3C working group
that looks specifically at this area (and published the above-mentioned
Recommendation in 2000).

So I suspect that a lot of people have thought of it. I have mentioned
many times to organisations who spend more than $100k on software that
they should think of mentioning this to their suppliers. I look forward
to someone doing the legwork...

cheers

Chaals