From: "Steven Dale" <sdale@stevendale.com>
To: <jim@jimthatcher.com>
Cc: <SLovejoy@csu.org>; <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2004 11:22 PM
Subject: Skip Navigation was RE: Access key questions

Hi Jim, Susan, and the list:

   May I build on Jim's suggestion of a visible skip navigation and
suggest that the page have several visable skips where there is content
that can be skipped to get to other content or areas of the page.  It
doesnt have to be labelled skip navigation (the top like Jim said
should be something close to that) but the rest could be, and probably
should be more clear to where it is going or what is being skipped. For
example "Back to top" after an article or "Next set of sale items" if
they are grouped in sets.  The reason I ask this is because Skip
Navigation has started to take hold, but we generally thought of as
skipping past a long set of links for those using screen readers.  But
skipping around a page is also great for sighted users having to use a
keyboard for navigation.  I like to think about using a single switch
(big red button for example) to move around the screen and getting to
different parts of the site.  If I can do that "relatively" easily with
a switch as input, then I have designed a good page navigation system
that would also include screen readers.

-Steve