Re: [WAI-IG] Serving my page in the right language

From: Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:41:41 +0000
To: Marjolein Katsma <hgnje001@sneakemail.com>
Cc: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Quoting Marjolein Katsma <hgnje001@sneakemail.com>:

> >* Users who don't know how to change their preference AND for whom the
> >default is suboptimal AND who fail to noticed the obvious option can
> >almost certainly cope with the default language anyway.
> >- Slight negative
> Don't agree - your "almost certainly" assumes an amount of fluency in the
> default language that is very often not present.
> Where I live, that is not a small minority.

If you have no fluency in the default language then everything except the link
to a lanugage you can read will be gibberish to you. If there is one
comprehensible peice of text on a page then it will stand out from the rest.

Jon Hanna
"…it has been truly said that hackers have even more words for
equipment failures than Yiddish has for obnoxious people." - jargon.txt