Re: [WAI-IG] Serving my page in the right language

From: Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:59:52 +0000
To: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> >In the first place, even in the absence of explicit user choice, the
> >browser already has a clue based on the language set in the operating
> >system and desktop.
> >
> >In the second place (and in the real world), ISPs and system
> >administrators will pre-configure language preferences to local
> >norms on behalf of users.

Browsers do need to get better at presenting this choice to people, and better
at allowing people to create user stylesheets and a whole bunch of features
that are user-configurable.

> My downstairs neighbor, who is Mexican, never had a clue she could set her
> *keyboard* to use Spanish instead of Dutch. She shares the computer with
> her daughter who is more fluent in Dutch than in Spanish. Even if they know
> they can set the browser to a language preference - which would they
> choose? Their browser certainly doesn't have a clue what their preferences
> are.

I would imagine that she would use es-MX, es-*, nl and her daughter would use
nl, es-MX, es-*. Once this had been set up it should just be a matter of which
log-in the are using. It's setting it up in the first place that needs
improvement from the browser manufacturers.

Jon Hanna
"…it has been truly said that hackers have even more words for
equipment failures than Yiddish has for obnoxious people." - jargon.txt