Re: [WAI-IG] Serving my page in the right language

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 08:17:36 +0000 (GMT)
To: info@appletv.co.uk
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> My girlfriend's mother was unaware of such an option
> for language selection and it was not immediently
> apparent so she never benefitted.

The "average user" doesn't need to be.

In the first place, even in the absence of explicit user choice, the
browser already has a clue based on the language set in the operating
system and desktop.

In the second place (and in the real world), ISPs and system
administrators will pre-configure language preferences to local
norms on behalf of users.

And as others have pointed out, it's a simple configuration option
for those who can use a menu.  It's just not labelled as HTTP
content negotiation - that would be far more technical detail than
most users need to know.

--
Nick Kew