Re: drop down lists

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:21:15 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> to avoid triggering the behaviour, with Internet Explorer you have to
> use a different method for going through the items (I think alt-arrow
> instead of plain arrows). The best solution would be fixing Internet

How do you step to the second item beginning M without triggering
this the auto-submit and without stepping through all 500 items in
the list (people who specify such behaviour also tend to overload
pull down lists)?  As marketing people see this auto-submit as
a usabiliity feature, the inability to step using the first letter
may well be a good counter-argument, because it may be seen as
usability, not accessibility.

> Explorer so its behaviour was more intuitive. In the meantime users
> just have to learn how the interface works as is.

You can't require a de-focus when using the mouse, as I believe is
the preferred definition for onChange, as it would then be no
more effort to click a button and the marketing people would complain.

> To stop the behaviour, you can put the go button back (implemented
> properly to work with or without javascript), instead of triggering

NB you must provide a button when there is no scripting as a form
consisting of just a pull down list cannot be submitted on any normal
browser without scripting.