Re: drop down lists

From: Kelly Pierce <kpierce2000@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:30:41 -0600
To: "Andrew Kirkpatrick" <andrew_kirkpatrick@wgbh.org>
Cc: "Jon Gunderson" <jongund@uiuc.edu>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

From: "Andrew Kirkpatrick" <andrew_kirkpatrick@wgbh.org>
To: "Kelly Pierce" <kpierce2000@earthlink.net>
Cc: "Jon Gunderson" <jongund@uiuc.edu>; <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2004 9:59 PM
Subject: Re: drop down lists

> > This seems to be an undocumented feature.  I am using Internet
> Explorer 6,
>  > service pack one and the online help in the program makes no mention
> of this
>  > in its discussion of keyboard commands or accessibility from my
> reading of
>  > the help files.  If I missed it please correct me.
>
> It isn't documented in the IE help, but it is a standard windows
keystroke:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q126449

I went to the reference cited and found this describing the "keystroke."

. ALT+DOWN ARROW: Opens a drop-down list box

Microsoft's explanation in this reference does not seem to be sufficient
enough for a blind person to know how to choose an item from a drop down
list on a web page without activating random items in the list.  One needs
to do more than simply hold down the alt and down arrow keys simultaneously.
Contrast Microsoft's explanation to Jon's thorough and highly useful
explanation.

Kelly