RE: [WAI-IG] some questions

From: P.H.Lauke <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:24:59 -0000
To: "WAI-IG" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> - - 9.4 Says "Create a logical tab order through links, form controls,
> and objects", but do I have to do this explicit using the attribute
> tabindex?

No need to use tabindex, if the order is already logical in the flow of
the document itself (actually, I found that because of buggy implementation,
Mozilla - can't remember which version - has had problems with tabindex: if
present anywhere in the document, it will only tab/cycle through the ones
with a tabindex, and completely ignore the ones without; not sure if this
has been fixed in the current version of Mozilla - may be worth testing).

> - - 13.6 says "Group related links, identify the group (for user
> agents), and, until user agents do so, provide a way to bypass the
> group." Currently my navigationbar is surrounded by a div: <div
> id="navigationMenu">...</div>. Should I change the div into a <map>,
> like in the example of this checkpoint [2]?

Some people will say that you must use <map>, others will say that <div> is
fine...I may hazard to say that it comes down to personal preference *ducks*
Consider adding a "skip to the content" or "skip navigation" link or set of such
links to bypass such groups.

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford