RE: accessible procurement policies

Keiko,

Can you tell me what this fine is for not meeting accessibility
standards in Australia? As far as I know this is how it goes with the
Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission of Australia:

"There is not a specific timeline that I am aware of. The Disability
Discrimination Act has however been in place since 1993 (ie from the
outset of WWW use by universities in Australia). The legislation does
not operate by means of imposition of penalties; rather it gives people
affected by discrimination including lack of accessibility the right to
make complaints and seek remedies, which could include damages suffered
and/or the removal of access barriers."

Source: David Mason
Director Disability Rights policy HREOC- Australia

If HREOC were to enforce the standards as set out by the W3C, how
exactly would they do that? It's pretty frustrating I totally agree, but
as long as companies are seen to be making reasonable effort towards
meeting the standards, then there is nothing anyone can do really.

Claire Spencer | spencerc@unimelb.edu.au

Web Producer

Web Centre

The University of Melbourne