RE: Question to accesskeys

From: P.H.Lauke <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:52:49 -0000
To: "John Britsios" <webmaster@webnauts.net>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
John,

as somebody has already pointed out...there's only 10 available numbers, and you have 11 links.
So no, there's no way around using at least one non-numeric character.

But...but...but...

No. There isn't. Sure, you could try creating a convoluted javascript way of capturing key inputs
and looking for numeric combinations of something (e.g. if the user hits ALT+0 twice real fast), but
you probably don't need me to tell you that relying on javascript is not the solution, either.

The only advice I can give you: get used to the idea that you HAVE to use at least one non-numeric
character, and/or conglomerate your pages (e.g. why can't "accesskeys" be part of the "accessibility statement" page ? Same for the "disclaimer". Actually, 6,7,8 could all be made into a single page.)

Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk <http://www.salford.ac.uk/>