RE: accessible streaming

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, P.H.Lauke wrote:

> > From: Access Systems [mailto:accessys@smart.net]
> (snip)
> > > You are right, they provide their text transcripts in MS Word.
> >
> > which of course would violate 508 which requires the access be freely
> > avaliable.  (in most cases)
> > not to mention the proliferation of other operating systems,
> > from the MAC to the big mainframes.
>
> OpenOffice ? http://www.openoffice.org/

OpenOffice (which I use) is not perfect and still has lots of trouble with
MS word documents.

BUT and this is personal peeve of mine, why is it always expected that
people with disabilities use all sorts of complex and many times rube
goldberg gyrations to read and use documents that could easily be
accessible if people posting em would make one or two key clicks,  I mean
how hard is it to save Word documents in text format ?????

this seems to be the norm rather than the exception.  for example rather
than put in a ramp, it is expected that  wheelchair users will be able
to get complex wheelchairs like the ibot......

Bob

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net