Re: Div tags as printable characters Guideline 10.5

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:04:28 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> My question is if I use Div tags to separate the links will the site still

DIV tags don't separate anything, they contain DIV elements.

This construct sounds like a list to me, so I would expect the links
to be contained by LI elements in a structural markup.

In any case, if AT cannot add delimiters in response to A element
boundaries, I don't see why you would expect it to do so for any
other element.

However, I suspect the guideline is particularly thinking about
true hypertext links, which are in an inline context, so could not
legally be wrapped within DIV, anyway.

> comply with the Guideline 10.5 or is 10.5 now generally seen as out of date
> because of the improvements in assistive technologies.

Delimiting links is necessary for visual use as well.