RE: WAI Checkpoint 7.5: Re-directs

From: P.H.Lauke <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:55:04 -0000
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> Some reason the server cannot return a page with page not
> found information?

That's not the issue. It can serve whatever it wants, but needs to send
the correct status (403/404) as part of the header as it's doing it as well.
To the user, it won't make a difference...they'll see whatever fancy or
spartan 404 page you want to create. We're not talking about "don't do
any custom 404 pages", which I think is what's causing the confusion...
As an example, see http://www.salford.ac.uk/nonexistentfile. You end up
with a customised 404 page, but if you looked at the headers for that
page, you'd see that instead of status 200 (OK) it sent out 404...

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk