RE: WAI Checkpoint 7.5: Re-directs

> From: tom [mailto:tcanywhere@yahoo.com]
[...]
> Surely we can't be saying that re-directs are prohibited
> altogether

No we're not. What the guideline refers to are those "your
download will commence in 5 seconds" or "you will be taken
to this other site in 3 seconds". One of the reasons for this
is that you should avoid automatically changing the context
without the user being able to do anything about it, or at least
being aware of it.
If you imagine a scenario in which a user with a screenreader
hits a meta-refresh page that redirects in a few seconds, the
screenreader will start reading out the page, and before it even
gets to the message about "you're being redirected", the page changes.
Another consideration is that redirects should not break normal
browsing functionality such as the back button. This is less likely
when done server-side, though (as far as I can tell, anyway), but
can be a real problem if it's client-side.

...and Tina beat me to it anyway, so bah ;)

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk