Re: Howto: Dedicate work to the public domain

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:57:24 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> one method of dedicating graphics to the public domain that I've linked
> to in a couple of emails on this thread is:

That's a royalty free copyright licence.  I believe it exists precisely
because material cannot be forced into the public domain.  The W3C have
something similar for their original web server.  I think the latter
has the normal disclaimer of liability.  It's generally considered to be
unsafe to distribute anything for which you might be held liable without
such a disclaimer.

From a consumer point of view, it is generally unsafe to use anything
that doesn't have a specific copyright licence from someone who appears
to have valid ownership of the intellectual property rights.