Re: link to us: Is there a recommendation to provide a graphic for external linking? if so where?

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 22:33:31 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> I'm ashamed to say though that the first thing each of my children could
> "read" was the golden arches. Good icons are instantly recognisable AND

Something I've wondered is whether children in cultures with icon
based languages (Chinese, Japanese etc.) learn to recognize basic
signs without being taught.  Its clear from the move to simplification
of characters and the ultimate goal of replacing them with PinYin in
mainland China that such languages do not scale to large vocabularies
as far as ease of learning is concerned.