RE: DHTML drop down menus ADA compliant

From: P.H.Lauke <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:42:32 -0000
To: "Mirabella, Mathew J" <Mathew.Mirabella@team.telstra.com>, "w3c-wai-ig list" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> Actually I have seen some claims that the whole thing can be
> done using CSS with no need to have scripts at all? does
> anyone know of examples?

One of the problems of an all CSS approach is that IE only supports
the :hover pseudo class on links, while other modern browsers support
it fairly well on most, if not all, other elements.
So in some situations JS is necessary, but the JS can be used to
supplement the pure CSS solution and make it work in IE
(as happens on http://devedge.netscape.com/ for instance - they actually
have an article on there somewhere explaining how/why they did it).

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk