Re: DHTML drop down menus ADA compliant

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 23:04:46 -0000
To: "WAI Interest Group" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

"Tina Holmboe" <tina@greytower.net>
> On 14 Jan, Jim Ley wrote:
>
> > The menus could be generated by javascript but it may well not be the
most
> > efficient (they could rewrite links from another place on the page,
perhaps

>   If you -generate- menus with Javascript, then how would you suggest it
>   be accessible should scripting not be available or turned off ?

The dynamic menus could be duplicating functionality provided elsewhere on
the document, the needs of the visual user being better addressed in a
dynamic fashion, with the redundant links being available elsewhere.  I
don't think it's optimal, as I suggested above, but I don't think it would
disqualify a page unless that's the only way links to the locations were
provided.

Of course there is also this thing called <NOSCRIPT> but I would strongly
advise that never to be used.  (since it ignores the very common scenario of
script available but incapable of executing the script provided)

Jim.