Re: Issue with legend content wrapping to fieldset width?

From: Geoff Deering <gdeering@acslink.net.au>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:02:12 +1100
To: "Mirabella, Mathew J" <Mathew.Mirabella@team.telstra.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Mirabella, Mathew J wrote:

>Thanks all.
>I gather it is a poor css implimentation on behalf of IE.
>My solution to this issue was to put a div inside the legend with the content inside the div and to specify width for the div.  It seems to work fine with legend div {width: 100%;} along with form, fieldset and legend widths also specified as 100%.

It makes you wonder if we'll ever get to situation of being able to code
to standards without write-arounds.  If it was costed, it must be a huge
part of any web development project, I know it has been on some of the
ones I've worked on, but by and large I try to avoid it and develop as
simply as possible, cause I have found the more complexity you add, the
more problems you invite.  At least it keeps a lot of web developers in
employment.

One has to question what is going on in user-agents if the MS Mac team
got IE 5.5 just about right, yet that code was not shared with the
windows team, who had other agendas at the time, because of other
priorities set by management.  And now the lack of effort to update IE6.

Geoff