Re: Emails for pwld

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:

> Nick,
>
> It would be useful, but the devil is in the detail.
>
> Secure logins can be achieved this way:
> Put one person known image in a page of strangers photographs, on a
> number of pages, and that's fairly good security.
> (ie the user has to click on a series of known images)

Hmmm?  I'm not following you.

> take a look at http://www.peepo.co.uk for a web browsing experience for
> non-readers.....

I find peepo confusing.  But then, I'm a text-oriented person; I always
keep graphics turned off, and curse both sites and applications that
expect me to find their graphical icons meaningful.

But anyway, aren't non-readers and email mutually incompatible?
I thought we were talking about slow readers - maybe less severely
handicapped than your users, but still of interest to organisations
like mencap and people like Caroline.

> Could an open source email program also provide a long term learning
> experience?
> without a doubt ~:"

Accessiblemail (with which I am connected, though it's not my baby)
is dedicated to living up to its name.  We've taken care to make it
work well for visually- and motor-impaired users.  If adding photos
will help those with reading difficulties, then I'm sure we can do it.

As for open-source, that's not my decision, but it may well happen.

--
Nick Kew