RE: Status of SMIL

> From: Geoff Deering
[...]
> What tools do you use to develop for it?  Real supports it,
> doesn't it?

To pipe in with my GBP0.02: I've been playing with SMIL and Quicktime
on and off for the last few years. I ended up just doing most things
by hand in notepad, although I did give Magpie a whirl with decent results
http://ncam.wgbh.org/webaccess/magpie/

One thing that still annoys me is that, although QT understands SMIL
just fine, the player does not associate itself automatically with the
.sml and .smil extensions, meaning that users with QT need to explicitly
open the player, then force it to open the SMIL file...rather convoluted.
Another way to do it would be to embed a QT object in a web page and forcing
the file to be displayed via Quicktime that way. (unless this has changed now,
haven't looked at the issue in the last few months, admittedly).

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk