RE: alt text & punctuation - best practice?

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:03:37 -0500 (CDT)
To: WAI-IG <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> Our web house style has been to punctuate headings for some 8 years or
> so. Has screen reader design moved on enough that we can now stop?

How about stopping because it was always incorrect?

> I don't accept that punctuated headings are "incorrect" any more than
> punctuated bullets are.

Different cases. Wait till you find out what you can do with end
punctuation on the *last* item in a list.

> It is a matter of habit and house style.

It's a matter of wrong habits and incorrect house style.

> A universal colon looks (to me at least, who is used to it) just as
> normal in a heading as an exclamation mark or query.

Nope. Among many other reasons, colons are not end punctuation.

Sadly, on this topic, you are completely mistaken. And in any event,
user-agent flaws are not Web authors' responsibility.

--

    Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
    Expect criticism if you top-post