Re: Maps that are accessible

From: Matthew Smith <matt@kbc.net.au>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 07:48:52 +0930
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Jesper Tverskov wrote:

> The only "exception" I know of is recentering the map. Today it is done
> by clicking in the map. Here we need not only panning but also to pan in
> very small steps, and the mouse will always be far superior to the
> keyboard, but it could be done with the keyboard alone if it was
> possible also to pan in small steps. It would actually be easy to
> implement a step selector: 100m, 500m, 1km, etc.

One could create an image map (graphic) showing lines representing compass
points (N,NE,E,SE,S,SW,W,NW) going through concentric circles representing the
"jump" size (100m, 500m, 1km to use Jesper's example).  The intersections of the
lines and the circles would be the links which would have the title attribute
set as "re-centre map 500 metres northeast", etc.

To simplify, one could just have the compass points and the degree of "jump"
being set as a function of the map scale.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy
South Australia