Re: Scripting (was RE: Accessible road maps)

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 07:54:46 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> However, I see parallels with things like full CSS support:
> designers/developers bemoaning that they can't just rely on CSS being
> present, because older browsers may not support the styling...and having
> to do extra work to make sure that the CSS degrades reasonably well, to
> the point where the document itself makes sense even without styling.

This is essentially because designers start from the point of view that
they (their customer) want(s) a particular appearence and so:

- do whatever achieves that appearence without thinking of the document
  structure - they use HTML as a graphical toolkit, not a document
  language;

- even if they could produce a reasonable document structure, insist that
  back version browsers produce the same (branded) appearence as current
  browsers, rather than producing a generic styling.