Re: Accessible road maps

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 07:40:39 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> For example, events such as onClick, onKeyPress, etc are actually part of
> the HTML spec [see note 1].  I had thought they were part of the

They originated as part of the JavaScript specification, were subsequently
added into the HTML specification at a time when it was being driven
by a tendency to document after the fact, and there have been attempts,
possibly successful, to get them out of HTML 2, in favour of scripts
registering event handlers.

In HTML, they are not limited to JavaScript, they can be used with
ECMAScript, Perl, etc. and with W3C's document object model, as well
as with the original Netscape model.

Note that W3C doesn't document the methods required to do common things
like popups.