Re: Accessible road maps

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 21:52:13 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> So, what do we do? Banish scripting from the Web? Certainly not. We may

I'm not asking for banishment, only that sites provide full access to
their information content without scripting (and more generally should
work with the minimum level of technology necessary for the content).
Remember that HTML and thus the web were created in deliberate rejection
of more sophisticated tools (including early PDF), on the grounds that
the content should be accessible with the minimum of technology.  If
encouraging maximum use of then current technology had bee the objective
of the original web, HTML would never have existed.

Most web sites nowadays are computer programs, not documents, and attempt
to override the viewing tool's user interface.