RE: Use of the <h1> element

From: Lois Wakeman <lois@lois.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 08:45:09 +0100
To: "'Matthew Smith'" <matt@kbc.net.au>, "'WAI Interest Group'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Matthew:

1. With my _tech author_ hat on, I'd say each page's H1 should reflect its
specific subject rather than a collection ID. The collection is the web site
or sub-section of a site (and that or rather the home page should have the
appropriate H1 too.) If you are talking of programmatically making sense of
a web, then metadata is surely the way to go.

3. If by good practice, you mean usability, then yes. Going against commonly
used conventions (however stupid or inaccessible) confuses many people.

Lois Wakeman

http://lois.co.uk
http://siteusability.com
http://communicationarts.co.uk