RE: Bobby user checks

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 David.Pawson@rnib.org.uk wrote:

>     Does that work the same as Valet by using separate parsers
>     for SGML/HTML and XML/XHTML, or have you developed/found a
>     parser that validates both?
>
> sp does both Nick. Just needs the xml declaration prior to the instance,
> then it uses XML syntax.

Yes.  But, SP's XML support has a number of known limitations.  There's
some very brief documentation of them on the SP webpages.

> (Caution, I'm speaking about sp, rather than the opensp, but its probably
> safe to assume that, unless someone knows differently?)

SP is unmaintained.  OpenSP is merely SP updated and enhanced.

> SET SP_CHARSET_FIXED=YES
> SET SP_ENCODING=XML
>

> NSGMLS.EXE -wxml  -s -E10 -f .\errs -c /sgml/catalog  c:/sgml/bin/xml.dcl %1
> type errs
> SET SP_ENCODING=ISO-8859-1
> SET SP_CHARSET_FIXED=NO

That'll give you exactly the same failures to validate XML as the
W3C validator (or WDG validator, arealvalidator, validator-lite),
plus a few more due to limitations which have been addressed in OpenSP.
I thought this subthread started when Carlos mentioned that
his product offered more accurate XML validation than that.

--
Nick Kew

Nick's manifesto: http://www.htmlhelp.com/~nick/