Re: Bobby user checks

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:00:04 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Carlos A Velasco wrote:

> The user can define a default DTD against which he wishes to validate,

That seems entirely fair and reasonable (and of course Valet permits
defaulting too:-).

>	 It can also define a default encoding for the document.

That's rather different, isn't it?  The various RFCs define default
charsets, so we have ISO-8859-1 for text/html served over HTTP,
ASCII for text/xml served over HTTP, and UTF-8 for XML in isolation.
IMO allowing users to override that is a slippery slope to
ignoring standards altogether.

--
Nick Kew

Nick's manifesto: http://www.htmlhelp.com/~nick/