Re: W3C Web Accessibility Initiative Statement on Web Access Report from UK Disability Rights Commission

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:11:04 +0200 (CEST), Tina Holmboe wrote:
> I've heard this argument before, and I still don't agree with it. I
>   fail, you see, to understand where you'll get the *extraordinary*
>   amount of people needed to cover all the various groups and
>   accessibility issues.

I understand your arguments, but in the context of the report, the
chairman of the Disability Rights Commission was making the point that
you cannot just run your site through Bobby and assume that if it
passes all the tests it is Accessible.

Bobby, and other testing tools cannot test every aspect of a site to
ensure that it conforms to the guidelines so some human testing is
required and it is best to use people with disabilities because they
are better equipped to do the testing.

OK, with your average test group you will never be able to test for
every user scenario, but you will be able to do a far better job than
just relying on the automated testing tools.

Cheers,

Julian Voelcker
Cirencester, United Kingdom