Re: Accessibility Issues and compliance for serving advertising on web sites

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 07:17:39 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> they have had from their third party ad sales house is to feed in =
> adverts
> from their ad servers via JavaScript which to my knowledge will give =
> them

I don't understand why they would want client side scripting, unless
it is to do pop-up and pop-under, which are discredited in the main
stream.  Any client side scripting, especially associated with third
party content, is increasingly being rejected by the more sophisticated
users.

> accessibility compliance issues.

Depends on whether or not the user is looking at the pages for the adverts;
more likely it simply represents a failure of the advertiser to reach a
potential part of their market.  Many people are paying for anti-popup
tools anyway.

> Am I right about this one or are there any other ways of doing it apart =
> from
> running the adverts as external gifs and having a full description of =
> each
> advertisement written into the alt tag for the image source code?

Do it the way that Google does, and only accept text adverts!