RE: fixed font size

-----Original Message-----
From: alex@shelter.nu [mailto:alex@shelter.nu]
Sent: 07 April 2004 07:29
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: fixed font size

> Joe Clark wrote:
> But for most people they don't have a choice. Even if it's through
> ignorance or fear of something different they still don't have the choice.
> It's time to get pragmatic Joe and realise that we have to code for
> *every* combo of user agent, platform and disability and not just the
> ones that we feel like.

No he didn't, I did.

>It is for a lot of
>people a question of economics more than that of doing it right,

Since when has typing px cost more than typing em or %

The point I was making was that to deliberately choose to cause problems for users of certain browsers, regardless of whether or not the user is deemed stupid for "choosing" it, is the behaviour of either a psychopath or a troublemaker.

Yes, IE has held back accessibility by dint of the fact that it is a crappy browser and yet 90% of the surfing world use it, and yes it would be great f we could use any font-size unit we like because we know that brwosers can handle it in a useful way but that isn't the real world. In the real wold we have IE and therefore we can't use px. That's is the pragmatic rather than the idealisticic approach. And believe me I hate moving away from the idealistic route but in this case we can't avoid it.

J.

The information in this email is confidential. The contents may not be disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee.  If you are not the addressee, please tell us by using the reply facility in your email software as soon as possible. Sheffield City Council cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message as it has been transmitted over a public network.  If you suspect that the message may have been intercepted or amended please tell us as soon as possible.