Re: Grey Text

Joe Clark wrote:

>Grey text is a signal component of the International Compliant Style, and
>can be attributed to differences in LCD vs. CRT rendering of very
>contrasty text in designers' studios. These are visually-attuned people
>who are not necessarily hostile to accessibility in the slightest.
>
>To provide real accommodation for the full range of low-vision people in
>these and similar cases, stylesheet-switchers and user stylesheets are
>required.

I feel this is the type of path to follow and promote... using
stylesheet-switchers and user stylesheets, although I'd like someone to
show me where user stylesheets are very successful globally.  I wish it
was a better option, but rather than render a user oriented design, I
feel it just tends to make a real mess between what the users wants and
want the designer intended (even good design).

As a web developer one needs to be able to accommodate the design
appropriate for a client, whilst addressing accessibility.  This is not
difficult if stylesheet-switchers are used.  The amount of time it takes
to make, say, another two sets of CSSs from a completed design is very
small given the overall time for design phase.  This allows real
flexibility of design and user interface.  But the stylesheet switcher
needs to be somewhat obvious, because on some sites you have no idea it
is there, how it is represented does not hint at what it is or its function.

I feel this is one of the best ways to promote innovative design
accommodation accessibility.

One thing we have to try and destroy is this myth that making a text
only page addresses the accessibility concern.  That just shows the
level of ignorance, that when you take markup our of a document, it
renders it even more meaningless and inaccessible.  It's really dumbing
things down.  Whereas, well marked up documents, with intelligent style
are what needs to be encouraged.

>WCAG WG would love to ban anything that looks nice, like
>grey-on-white text, but that isn't the correct solution.

In my own involvement with WAI/WCAG/WCAG-GL I have never felt this is
the spirit or attitude of the people, guidelines or group.  I have
always felt that the people involved are not trying to be exclusive, but
rather the whole approach is focused on trying to be inclusive.  That to
me is what underlines this whole accessibility movement; it aims more
than anything to be inclusive.

Geoff Deering