Re: Grey Text

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 15:58:13 -0500 (EST)
To: WAI-IG <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> How do you feel about using grey text for copy?  I love grey for its neutral
> presence and ability to downplay something and give a clear and crisp look
> to the overall design of a site but at the same time, it's hard to read or
> take notice of.

Grey text is a signal component of the International Compliant Style, and
can be attributed to differences in LCD vs. CRT rendering of very
contrasty text in designers' studios. These are visually-attuned people
who are not necessarily hostile to accessibility in the slightest.

To provide real accommodation for the full range of low-vision people in
these and similar cases, stylesheet-switchers and user stylesheets are
required. WCAG WG would love to ban anything that looks nice, like
grey-on-white text, but that isn't the correct solution.

Cf. <http://fawny.org/blog/2003/09/?IG#IC-Style>.

--

  Joe Clark  |  joeclark@joeclark.org
  Author, _Building Accessible Websites_