Re: statistician needed: offtopic

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 17:26:06 +0000 (GMT)
To: Paul Hart <paulhart@redchocolate.ca>
Cc: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> Jonathan,
>
> Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that there are weekdays
> and weekends? Most sites have a weekly period because there is a weekly
> period that most of us adhere to.

Indeed, but that would imply a shorter, sharper dip for the weekend
and a broader (5-day) peak.

My thought is that it could be an artifact of cacheing strategies
and expiry times amongst large providers (AOL alone should have an
appreciable effect if there's a periodicity to their cacheing.
That would also explain Apple _not_ showing periodicity, if their
use of Akamai is masking it.

Of course this is pure pint-in-a-pub speculation (though - coincidentally
- I am qualified to call myself a statistician:-)

--
Nick Kew