RE: To be or not to be...an alt tag, that is the question

-----Original Message-----
From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org on behalf of Paul Davis
Subject: Re: To be or not to be...an alt tag, that is the question

oops! and sorry all, I should explain.

I had my property development hat on yesterday
so was very strapped for time.

The site is http://www.paralympic.org/

The images on the site must have been changed yesterday.
My original posting referred to an index page that had an
image of two guys playing soccer, the alt tag said "football"
the particular image I used as an example is no longer
displayed on the page.

<snip />

Thats all, now where's that paint brush...?

[John]
So is there a list/site of 'good practice' with ALT? Just how much/little should one put into an ALT tag, how much in TITLE, and when should LONGDESC be used?

ALT is used (incorrectly) as a tooltip in IE6, unless there's a TITLE as well. Other browsers get it right by using the TITLE as a tooltip alone.

Reason for the question is that none of the searches I've done say anything about the content of the various tags (O.K. Attributes) but concentrate on what they do. Seems that everyone has says that you have to but no-one has said what to do.

John

John Colby
Lecturer, School of Computing, Faculty of Computing, Information and English
Room F328a, Feeney Building, University of Central England,
Franchise Street, Perry Barr, Birmingham B42 2SU
Tel: +44 (0) 121 331 6937, Fax +44 (0) 121 331 6281, Mobile: 0771 114 1621