Re: label tag and multiple associations

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@sidar.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 16:45:59 +0900
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
To: Kieran_M_O'Brien@national.com.au

Hi Kieran,

in HTML you can't do this in the general case. The closest approach is
to use the fieldseet and legend elements which are designed to do
something like this. See
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#h-17.9 for where it says
"Each LABEL element is associated with exactly one form control." and
see http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#h-17.10 for fieldset
and legend, which do what you are looking for.

There is a little hack that is often used of putting things in a table,
where you can associate one cell with a number of others. A handful of
screen readers present this information as if it were achieving your
goal here. But you don't have a formal way of saying that the label
applies to the form controls in particular, which is the checkpoint
requirement as I understand it. In particular, unlie with
fieldset/legend you have to do some nasty hacking to get an accesskey...

just my 2cents (Australian official value)

Chaals