Re: Design and accessiblity issues

Ben Gilmore wrote:
> I'm doing a presentation to the company I work for about the impact of
> accessiblity issues on design. As there are often isssues with design that
> impact the acesssibliy of a build.

Hi Ben

I don't know exactly what you're trying to present or to whom; most of
the audiences to whom I've had to present accessibility concepts have
been pretty non-technical <humour>This is a computer.  See computer go!
  Go, go computer!</humour>.  What I have normally done is to quote -
verbatim - the introduction to the WCAG 1.0 which looks at potential
issues rather than methods:

<http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/#Introduction>

I've used this in presentation for everything from Rotary meetings to
the State Education Department.  The content is simple enough that a
broad range of people can understand it and though-provoking enough to
make the audience realise that there ARE issues.

If you want to get more technical, you could always list the Priority 1
points.

As regards "impact of accessibility issues on design", it's a simple
case of getting it right at the start can avoid endless heartache later
on.  I found out the hard way - I 'discovered' accessibilty through a
Wired News article about fourteen months ago; I've been re-engineering
all prior work ever since...

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Matthew Smith