Re: link in new window debate

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Info AT ATutor wrote:

other than the translation section I was able to use all of the site I
tried in a short quick visit,  I was using Linux Red Hat 9.0 and the
latest version of LYNX....good job, and it is GPL as a bonus....!

Bob

> [Excuse my abrupt entry into this discussion. Who is this guy you ask?
> He's been at this accessiblity thing for too long.]
>
> Please learn about transformable content. That is where web
> accessibility is going.
>
> Pay more attention to the needs of people with cognitive disabilities in
> your studies of web accesibility.  There is rarely consideration of the
> needs of those with learning disabilities in accessibility discussions.
> Transformable content can be accessible to these people, as well as to
> the blind, or any other person with a  disability where  barriers affect
> their use of electronic information (not just the assistive technology
> users).
>
> When the new windows issue arises now and again, the needs of a person
> with a short term memory disability always seem to be secondary to the
> needs of those with sensory disabilities, if their needs arise at all.
> A second window can be quite useful for a person who has difficulty
> remembering what they've just read. The dynamic help as suggested by ...
> could work for these users, but this could present other accessibility
> issues (Though php etc. would do this handely along with a dynamically
> generated anchor. But for the less skilled a second window is usually
> the alternative.). Consistent use of a single popup window, though
> perhaps not optimal for some screen reader users, can make content
> accessible to a person with a learning disability.
>
> If you haven't seen how we are dealing with accessibility through
> transformation, see how ATutor does it (yes it does open new windows in
> places, but never more than one window at a time). There is a fully
> functional working demo to play with. The next step in this project's
> development is connecting to a respository of transformable learning
> objects (The TILE Project).  The transformable learning environment and
> the transformable learning content are accessible to many more than just
> AT users.
>
> ATutor
> http://www.atutor.ca
>
> greg
>
> [Joe and Chris, this is not a plug, it is a sharing of knowledge] ;-)
>
> Phill Jenkins wrote:
>

> >Info at ATutor.ca said:
> >
> >...  If I know you are
> >using a screen reader for example, I can strip away all the redundant
> >navigation links, remove the images, or present columns of text in a
> >single column. I'll transform the content ...
> >
> >Phill replies:
> >
> >that is what the browser+screen reader does, it present the information in
> >a linear sequence, it renders the skip link, and all the other navigation
> >links.  We don't need the authors doing the job of the Assistive
> >technology.  We don't need the authors doing the job of the user
> >configurations settings either.
> >
> >We as list members need to continually ask ourselves: Who's best
> [...]

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net