Re: link in new window debate (was "Special message to website cr eators")

From: Matthew Smith <matt@kbc.net.au>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 08:28:52 +1030
To: Info at ATutor <info@atutor.ca>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Info at ATutor wrote:
> A point to consider from a usability perspective:
>
> What about opening a help window?

When I had to re-engineer a Web-based application for the purposes of
accessibility, the help was in JavaScript popups.  (We actually had a
controlled audience at the time - this is something that would have
worked for all users.)

The approach I took could be applied equally to a site/application that
spawns new browser windows - re-draw the current page with the help text
displayed in context.  No to-ing and fro-ing with back/forward buttons
or having to ALT/TAB between windows (or whatever system you use for this).

Granted, this is easiest to achieve when you are generating pages
dynamically but for static sites, a version with help and version
without help could be produced.

My personal view on spawning new windows is that it is only acceptable
if the user agent can manage them in one window, such as with Mozilla's
tabbed browsing.  Even then, it should only be done with the user's
consent. (Follow this link to open in new window || follow this link to
open in same window)

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy