RE: Ouch!!! (was: RE: Nielsen's Latest Alertbox & a personal prot est)

From: <carl.myhill@ps.ge.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:24:45 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Sorry, been away for a bit - actually, not that sorry it was a great escape.

On what you say below, I am not advocating following rules I don't
understand. In fact, in my own websites I could just shove in an empty
string into the default text part of my search form and claim WAI level 3
compliance as Mark Pilgrim does but why bother? I don't see the point in
default text in a search box from a usability perspective and I see even
less point in putting an empty string in there just so you score higher with
a compliance robot.

What I really meant was that although I have 11 years of experience as an
interaction designer I have never designed anything for people with any
kinds of disabilities specifically so I am inclined to follow these rules
more than others because I find it hard to walk a mile in the shoes of a
blind user - I don't know how screen reading devices really work. So,
following learned guidelines, where they are easily accomodated into my
designs, does not seem to be a big deal.

Bobby also makes a pretty good job of explaining a lot of the why behind the
things suggested.