Re: Redirection

From: <jon@hackcraft.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:19:37 +0000
To: Matthew Smith <matt@kbc.net.au>
Cc: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> As a follow-up to the redirection thread, I think that this method could
> prove to be a handy way to provide metadata (eg RDF) for pages.
>
> Example:
>
> http://www.example.domain/doc/1234
>
> ...would display document 1234
>
> http://www.example.domain/doc/1234/meta.xml
>
> ...would return the metadata for document 1234.
>
> Comments?

I prefer the use of the accept headers. However it can be useful to have a URI
that returns a given representation of a resource (after all representations
are themselves resources and can be identified by a URI). Hence
<http://www.example.domain/doc/1234> could return HTML, RDF and/or something
else depending on the headers, and the HTML could contain <link rel="meta"
type="application/rdf+xml"
href="http://www.example.domain/doc/1234/meta.xml" />. This latter URI would
return RDF/XML no matter what the headers (or at least as long as the headers
allowed for RDF/XML even if they would seem to prefer HTML).