TinyURL (was RE: Redirection)

From: P.H.Lauke <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:45:23 -0000
To: "Matthew Smith" <matt@kbc.net.au>, "WAI Interest Group" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sort of on-off topic: I toyed with the idea of doing something similar
to http://tinyurl.com/ for our site...all you need is a database and a
simple rewrite rule and voila'...I gave up in the end, though, as I feared
that some people in our organisation just wouldn't get the purpouse
of this and start publishing these short urls in permanent publications,
link to them from other pages, etc, rather than just using them for what
they're meant to be: short-lived shortcuts.

Patrick