User customization using a style sheet switcher and server side scripts.

From: Jim Byrne <j.byrne@gcal.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 10:46:59 +0000
To: W3c_Access <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hi,

List members might be interested in some work I have done with Gez Lemon  to
create a more flexible style sheets switcher using server side scripts.

In summary:

1. Presentation elements such as text size and colour are chosen from an
HTML form.
2. After the submit button is pressed, the form is processed by a script
which captures the chosen values and stores them in cookies.
3. The style sheet being used to alter the presentation of the page, uses
the cookie values to set the presentation variables, e.g. text size and
background colours.

I have written an article about why I think this might be a useful
technique, with example scripts written in PHP: http://www.mcu.org.uk

You can also read Gez Lemons' article and the get the scripts for his ASP
version at: http://www.juicystudio.com/

I would interested to know if there are reasons why this approach might not
be a good idea?

And also - if it is a good idea - suggestions for improvements would be
welcome.

All the best,
Jim

--
Your website can be beautiful and accessible.
Visit http://www.mcu.org.uk - and find out how.

New, recommended eBook: 'Accessible Web Typography - an introduction for web
designers' at http://www.scotconnect.com/webtype.php