Re: read regular - typeface for dyslexics

Hello Pete
I suppose terms used depend on where you come from. Learning Disability
for one is used differently in North America than it is in your part of
the world. "Dyslexia" is still widely used here, though the move is away
from terms that describe specific LDs, to more general terms that
encompass individual differences.

I acknowledge the presense of "other" charactartistics associated with
reading disability, though it has been shown that they are in most cases
the result of a "snowball" effect rooted in a specific phonological
processing deficit. There has been much research in this area. Kieth
Stanovich, Linda Siegel, and Bernice Wong,  are three who have devoted
much effort to identifying the root cause of reading disability. The
Matthew Effect, as termed by Stanovich, is that snowballing effect the
results from the phonological deficit affecting other areas of cognitive
functioning.

Irlen syndrome, dyspraxia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia etc, are all treated
as separate disabilities not themselves a "reading disability", but
often accompanying conditions.

At any rate, regardless of the terms used, my point is that this effort
on behalf of so called dyslexics to determine which fonts are most
accessible to them, is misguided. I don't disagree that fonts can affect
readability, but that that readability is applicable to any reader, not
just those with a reading disability. Font choices should not been
deemed an accessibility issues, but rather one of usabability.

greg