Re: Access to E-Books: Beyond the Text Project

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 07:50:38 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> WGBH's National Center for Accessible Media Awarded Grant to
> Develop Access Solutions for Multimedia in E-Books

One issue I didn't notice in this is that the growth of e-books
is actually based on technology to prevent sharing and copying.
Something similar happens with talking books for the blind in the
UK; non-standard tape machines are used, so that sighted users
cannot take advantage of such free audio books.

(As a non-accessibility issue, I have been put off by e-books by
the fact that their pricing does not reflect that they are only
legally usable by one person, but is comparable with that of
the printed books.)