Re: UK Access Rules:

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:40:18 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> account of their disability. It's widely regarded as being applicable to web
> sites, although the legislation itself doesn't mention the Web. No case law

The government's guidance notes include a web site as an example, although
the notes are not legally binding.

However my understanding (from a lay point of view) is that it is the
service provided by the web site, not the web site itself, that is
covered, so the provision of a reasonably equivalent level of service
through alternative means may be a valid defence (your call centre
might have to be open on Christmas day, or you might have to close
the web site down then!)

I suspect that the legislation under which the Sydney Olympics prosecution
was brought doesn't explicitly cover web sites, either.