RE: UK Access Rules:

From: David Sloan <DSloan@computing.dundee.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:58:17 +0100
To: 'Andy Heath' <a.k.heath@shu.ac.uk>, tcroucher@netalleynetworks.com
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org, martin.sloan@orange.net

Andy asked: "Is the confusion over the Learning/services split ?"

My understanding is that the web sites of UK educational providers will have
been covered separately under part III of the DDA (goods, facilities and
services) since 1999, and as educational providers since September 2002,
after the SENDA amendment to the DDA.

As I understand it, the 2004 date referred to by Tom in a previous posting
relates to the date when goods, facilities and service providers are
required to make 'reasonable adjustments' to the physical features of their
premises to overcome physical barriers to access."

And for info - while the legislation doesn't mention web sites, accompanying
Codes of Practice do, so in UK legal terms, this would be highly significant
in the ruling of any case.

Dave