RE: UK Access Rules:

From: David Sloan <DSloan@computing.dundee.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:15:09 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Tom Croucher said: "In the UK currently you are not obligated to be
accessible, however in Oct 2004 when the Disability Discrimation Act of 1995
(DDA) part III comes
into force then all public web sites (as services I gather, although I am
not a lawayer) are obligated to be accessible to a reasonable degree."

My understanding is that this is incorrect. Goods, facilities and service
providers have been covered since 1999 under the DDA Section III, which
requires them not to unjustifiably discriminate against someone on account
of a disability.

If they provide goods, facilities and services through a web site, then
legal argument has suggested that the web site is covered by this
legislation.

See:
http://elj.warwick.ac.uk/jilt/01-2/sloan.html
http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/publicwebsite/public_l